Trump Doesn't Sound Like Our Voice
By LeeAnn Hall
Donald Trump said he'd speak for the people, but it's billionaires and bigots who are getting heard.
We're already starting to see how America’s gamble on Donald Trump will pay off: with gifts to the corporations and billionaires he swore he'd put us above.
One of Trump’s first priorities is to repeal one of the only federal laws standing between us and Wall Street. That law created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a federal office created to look after consumers' interests.
Since its founding, the bureau has returned $11.8 billion that big banks essentially stole from 27 million of their customers. The agency recently uncovered rampant fraud at Wells Fargo and hit the bank with a $100 million fine. It also acted to rein in the predatory payday lending industry, which catches 12 million people in its debt trap each year.
Our president-elect now wants to eliminate that agency, and the Republicans running Congress will be all too happy to accommodate him. Like the Republicans' 2012 presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, they've always been in the pocket of the big banks.
Without the consumer protection agency, you'll be absolutely on your own.
The big banks can run roughshod over you, and there won't be a single federal agency whose sole job it is to defend you from them.
Trump also says he'll repeal Obamacare right away. There's a lot that isn't working in the health care law. But Trump doesn't have any plan to fix those things, or to lower premiums and get rid of deductibles.
Instead, he'll throw out the health care plans an estimated 20 million people received through the Affordable Care Act -- many for the first time in their lives. There will be no one there for them but the insurance corporations, and we know how that goes. And House Speaker Paul Ryan is talking about turning Medicare over to the insurance corporations, too.
On top of that, Trump’s going to toss the Clean Power Plan to reduce carbon emissions. He’s pledged to put a climate change denier at the head of the EPA and to undermine the key laws that protect our air and water. The corporations that dump poisonous waste into our drinking water and asthma-inducing pollutants into our air are thrilled.
He's also vowing to deport millions of our friends, neighbors, and family members. The futures of millions of young people hang in the balance. And he'd shred the Constitution to ban Muslims, destroying a nearly 300-year tradition of religious liberty.
I sincerely hope that's not our voice.
But we'll have to prove it's not by standing up for each other -- for the immigrants in our communities, Muslims, African Americans, and everyone who's now under attack. The man who claims to speak for us has stoked a wave of alleged attacks against marginalized communities by his supporters.
There are reports of high school students calling out “heil Hitler” and using slurs against African American and gay students, handing out “deportation” letters to classmates, and harassing Muslim students. A church just outside the nation's capital found its banner advertising a Spanish-language service vandalized with the inscription, “Trump Nation. Whites Only.”
The Ku Klux Klan says Donald Trump speaks for them, and they're planning to celebrate by marching in North Carolina. Does he speak for the rest of us, too?
Now the choice is ours. No matter how we voted, we have to show who we really are. Forget about anybody speaking for us.
It's time for us all to speak up for ourselves and our neighbors, and to pledge to defend everyone in our communities -- from billionaires and bigots alike.
LeeAnn Hall is the co-director of People's Action (PeoplesAction.org), a national organization engaging in research and advocacy for economic, racial, gender, and climate justice.
Article: Courtesy OtherWords.org.
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- Obama's Presidency by the Numbers
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
- Draining the Swamp How-To Guide
- Exploding Inequality is Killing Democracy
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Reducing Inequality in the Trump Era
- Donald Trump, the Middle East, and American Foreign Policy
- Jeff Sessions: Trump's Most Dangerous Cabinet Pick
- Trump and the Iran Nuclear Deal
- United States Presidential Inaugurations
- Trump Set To Become The Oldest President
- The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms
- Obama's Legacy: Growth, Debt & Employment
- Trump Currency Bump: Jubilant Ruble & Declining Peso
- Trump and Israel: Big-League Issues and Huge Repercussions
- How Trump Changed Everything (2016-2020)
- The Crusades Are Back, With a Vengeance
- How Inequality Undermines Democracy
- Crony Capitalism Made Rick Perry Energy Secretary
- From Here to Dystopia
- Trump Taking on Wall Street, Literally
- Who Voted for Wall Street?
- Foreign Meddling in Our Vote
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un: Soul Brothers?
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Populist Challenge and Political Judgement
- The Last Days of Democracy?
- Trump, China and Hawkish Campaign Rhetoric
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- A New Populism in the Trump Era
- Explaining Donald Trump's Victory
- Political Earthquake With No Precedent
- What Election Analysts Can Learn
- How Obama's Legacy Lost the Election
- Big Money Won in 2016
- America's Dark Underbelly Is Now Its Face
- The Statue of Trumperty
- Trump Doesn't Sound Like Our Voice
- This Election Wasn't About Trump
- Bartleby the American
- Sorry, I Can't Give Trump a Chance
- Obama's Foreign Policy Legacy
- Uncle Sam Needs a Better Handle on Your Money
- Careful What You Wish For
- How to Strengthen Our Democracy Beyond Voting
- An Appetite for Action on Tax Reform
- Trump vs Clinton: The Final Round
- 2016 Election Results
- 2016 Election Polls & Results
- Trump is the Nation's Abuser-in-Chief
- Hillary Clinton and the Neocons
- How Voter Turnout Could Put Trump in The White House
- Trump the Arsonist
- Us vs Them: How Neurophilosophy Explains Our Divided Politics
- It's Rigged: Takes One to Know One
- Walling Them Out, or Walling Us In?
- A Historic Election for Women and Not Just Because of Hillary
- The Myth of Trump's Alternative Worldview
- Hillary Clinton: A Hawk in the Wings
- The Future of Civil Rights is Up To the Supreme Court
- How Accurate are Election Polls?
- What Would Happen If Donald Trump Decided to Challenge the Election Results
- Republicans Would Reject 'Rigged' Election Result If Hillary Clinton Wins
- My Trump-Like Bully
- Is Trump Committed to Democratic Rule of Law?
- Trump Was Born on Third Base
- Clinton Expands Into 'Red' States; Trump Again Claims Fraud
- Clinton Wins All Three Debates
- The Best and Worst Presidents on Taxes
- Revolutions Don't End On Election Day
- Hillary's Surprising Debate Stumble on Trade
- Scott Walker's Political Magic
- Prominent GOP Leaders Denouncing Trump
- The Reduction of Muslim Americans
- Wikileaks Offers Glimpse of Clinton Team's Early Thoughts on Trump
- Presidential Debate: Supreme Court, the Second Amendment & Abortion
- Presidential Debate: Immigration, Russian Involvement in the US Election
- Presidential Debate: Taxes, Trade Deals & Foreign Military Aid
- Presidential Debate: Presidential Fitness
- Presidential Debate: Foreign Hot Spots
- Forbes Pegs Trump's Wealth at $3.7 Billion, $800 Million Less Than Last Year
- Trump's 1995 Tax Records Suggest No Federal Taxes For Years
- Clinton Assails Trump in Blistering Debate
- Trump Unable to Capitalize
- Clinton's Odds of Winning Presidency Jumps
- Clinton vs Trump Debate by the Numbers
- Presidential Debate Reaction
- Presidential Debate Perspectives from Asia
- Trump's Debate Sniffles
- Clinton vs Trump Debate Photos
Politics: "Trump Doesn't Sound Like Our Voice"