What Are Trump's Values -- and America's? (Photo: John Liu / Flickr)
by Mitchell Zimmerman
A man who proclaims he'd like to punch a protester in the face -- as Donald Trump did recently in Nevada -- isn't fit to serve as the president of the United States. That's the first thing that must be said.
Fit to be führer of Germany in 1933, yes. But not president of the United States of America today. That simple truth matters more than the bizarre unreality of the GOP front-runner's agenda, or the fact that the man is a practiced liar.
We hear much about "values voters" these days. Donald Trump promotes values Americans should be ashamed of, not glorify.
He claims that he can "protect" us by barring any of the world's 1.6 billion Muslims from entering our country. He says he wants to expel 11 million immigrants -- including millions who've lived among us for decades -- and demonizes desperate refugees fleeing the Islamic State. He's even reluctant to disavow his Ku Klux Klan admirers.
As policy prescriptions, Trump's ideas make no sense. Bar all Muslim refugees, visitors, tourists, and business people from entering our country? Trump hasn't troubled to consider that if Islamic terrorists really wanted to get into the United States, they'd simply lie about their religion.
Many supporters believe that because Trump is so rich, he doesn't need money from special interests. That means he'll look out for you, they say. To these Trump loyalists I say: Dream on! No one gets to be a billionaire by thinking, "Now I've got enough."
Like other Republican leaders, Trump proposes tax cuts that would squander trillions of dollars on lavish tax breaks for billionaires while doling out peanuts to people on the bottom half of the income divide. The services ordinary people rely on would be badly underfunded, hindering the government's ability to provide good schools for our children, protection for our water, food, drugs, and environment, and a future for all of us.
But most of all, in the long struggle over whether America will be a decent society, Trump consistently comes down on the side of meanness, fear, and hatred.
Nothing says America -- at least as most of us want it to be -- so much as the familiar words beneath the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Millions of our parents and grandparents, who were deemed the wretched refuse of Europe, were uplifted by that vision when they came through the golden door. But that vision is under attack. It's dying as more and more Americans choose to slam shut the door.
Instead, we now have a rampaging presidential candidate who lies about immigrant crime, believes he can bully Mexico into paying for a border wall, proposes seizing Iraq's oil, promotes violence at his rallies, brazenly supports torture, admires authoritarian leaders like Russia's Vladimir Putin, and ridicules the weak and vulnerable.
Instead of Lady Liberty's vision, Donald Trump invites us to adopt a dark vision, one the writer George Orwell described in his novel 1984: "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face -- forever."
In the end, that's what Donald Trump's project to "Make America Great Again" comes down to. Americans need to decide what kind of America they want.
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Clinton Regains Lead
- How Much Candidates Spent Per Vote
- Tim Kaine Cheat Sheet
- Mike Pence by the Numbers
- Americans Divided on Bathroom Bill
- Clinton's Stubborn 75 Percent Chance Finally Dips Following Email Revelations
- The 2016 Democratic Convention by the Numbers
- The 2016 Republican Convention by the Numbers
- Trump's Fundraising Turnaround: June Marked Best Month So Far
- Trump Captures His Largest Lead So Far in Polls
- Trump Pulls Ahead of Clinton in Key Swing States
- Donald Trump and America B
- House Sit-In Would've Been More Powerful if It Rejected 'No Fly, No Buy'
- Clinton's Foreign Policy Poses a Challenge to the Left
- Hillary Wants to Bring Back Bill. She Shouldn't
- The Real Reason Republicans Are Going after the IRS
- ISIS Must Love Trump
- Can Trump Ride the Anti-Immigration Wave to the White House?
- Trouble for Donald Trump's Campaign
- America's Most Followed Members of Congress
- Hillary Clinton's Major Foreign Policy Address Was Anything But
- Donald Trump Down in the Polls After Rough Week on the Trail
- There's No More Denying It: Trump Is Openly Racist
- Donald Trump: Joker's Wild
- After Orlando: Twitter Recoils from Islamophobia, Takes Aim at Gun Laws
- How Much Blame Should Hillary Clinton Bear for Libya?
- Countries That Receive the Most Foreign Aid From the U.S.
- Hillary Clinton Secures Democratic Nomination
- Welcome to Half Dome, Sponsored by Nike
- Companies Need to Stop Bankrolling Hate
- For Billionaire Donors, Academic Integrity Comes Cheap
- America's Cosmic Tax Gap
- Trump's 'Realty Check' on Climate
- Putin and Trump: Symptoms of Creeping Caesarism
- Obama Promised Open Government, But Hasn't Delivered Yet
- A Coalition of the Unhinged
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- A Commencement Address for the Most Indebted Class Ever
- Our Poverty Myth
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Government Agencies that Spend the Most
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Odd Ways Political Campaigns Spend Their Money
- Congressional Districts with the Youngest and Oldest Voters
- Trump Nabs First Lead Against Clinton in Poll
- Bernie's Bucks: Sanders' Fundraising and Spending Prowess in 5 Charts
- Clinton Holds Razor-Thin Lead
- Doling Out the Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs
- States with the Most Women in Politics
- Do First Ladies Influence the Popularity of Baby Names?
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- We Live in a Democracy, Not a Theocracy
- Is Trump an American Exceptionalist?
- Sanders vs Clinton on Economic Inequality
- Nine Lessons for Navigating National Security
- Trumped Up Alliances?
- Big Money in Politics Drives War
- Why Clinton Supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Trump Does Not
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership and the 2016 US Presidential Election
- Obama: The Conflict Resolution President?
- Bernie Sanders Still the 2016 Fundraising Champ
- Inequality Will Get Worse Until There's a Revolution
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- Political Campaigns May Put Your Personal Data at Risk
- Fear, Anger and Attitudes Toward Immigration
- The New (Anti-)Secularism
- Clinton, Trump Poised for Northeastern Sweep on Tuesday
- Trump's Bad Ideas Aren't Un-American After All
- The Death Gap
- Why Trump Is No Longer a Safe Bet
- 22 People, $43 Million: The People Doling Out the Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs
- It's Literally Impossible to Deport 11 Million Immigrants
- Here's What a Budget That Prioritizes Peace Looks Like
- Does the Military Support Trump?
- Where Are the Wealthiest Voters?
- How the Pentagon Wastes Your Money
- This Election, We Can't Afford to Ignore the Climate
- The Children's Crusade
- When Islam Polices Extremists
- Hillary Clinton's State Department Armed Saudi Arabia to the Teeth
- Free From Jail, Imprisoned by Debt
- American Cities Most at Risk of Zika Virus
- Operation Paul Ryan
- What Trumpism Means for Democracy
- Trump Opens Floodgates of Hate
- Missing in Action: Political Reality and Leadership
- Give 'Tax and Spend' a Chance
- Donald Trump: Foreign Policy's Useful Idiot?
- When Red Tape Is a Good Thing
- Trump Holds Strong Lead in New York, Clinton-Sanders Race Tightens
- These States Give the Most Money to the Presidential Race
- The Most Influential Presidential Power Couples
- The Most Influential First Ladies
- Wall Street Should Pay a Sales Tax, Too
- Cruz, Not Trump, Has Shot to Beat Clinton
- Republicans Who Really Don't Like Donald Trump
- What Would Nancy Reagan Say?
- The Humpty Dumpty Party
- What Are Trump's Values -- and America's?
- Primary Trends: Media Goes Crazy, Bettors Yawn
- Most Liberal Members of Congress
- Most Conservative Members of Congress
- 25 Facts About Abraham Lincoln
- 25 Facts About John F. Kennedy
- Marco Rubio Is Winning the Neocon Primary
- Obama: The Fairy-Tale President?
- Terrorism & Trump: New Challenges for Social Justice Organizations
- How Sky-High CEO Pay Pollutes Our Planet and Our Politics
- Foucault's Analytic of Power
- The Cliché of Civilizations
- Religious Politics & Illiberal Religion
- Endless War, Undeclared and Undebated
- Bernie Sanders Has America Talking About Denmark
- Paul Ryan vs the People
- Away with the Clowns
- Trump Takes on the World
- After Obama: Clinton vs Sanders
- Can Jeb Bush Even Spell Integrity?
- Please Don't Shoot the Moderators
- Staffing Up for Corruption
- Hillary Clinton Hasn't Learned a Thing from Iraq
- What Comes After Empire for the United States?
- Who's the Greatest Danger to World Peace?
- Has the United States Worn Out Its Welcome Mat?
- Was Bin Laden Killing Result of American Intelligence or Wasn't It?
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
- The Case for a Robot-in-Chief
- What's the Matter with Saying 'Middle Class'?
- Odd Bedfellows for Liberty
- Rand Paul's Foreign-Policy Flip-Flop Not Likely to Win Him Many Friends
- The TPP Gang That Can't Shoot Straight
- TPP Shocking Schumer
- The War on Love
- The GOP Bucks Teddy Roosevelt's Legacy
- Of Course Jeb Bush Would Have Invaded Iraq
- 2016: Send in the Clowns
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Obama's Triple Crown
- The 47 Republican Samurai
- From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
- The High Cost of Low Taxes
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
Article: Distributed by OtherWords.org
"What Are Trump's Values -- and America's?"