What if the President Liked Businesspeople?
Victor Davis Hanson
The U.S. stock market has nose-dived.
Unemployment is still over 9 percent. Private-sector businesses may have more than
The Gross Domestic Product is almost static. Every classical Keynesian remedy -- massive government borrowing and spending ("stimulus"), near-zero interest rates, public works, expanded federal entitlements -- has been tried, failed, and is turning a modest recovery into another recession. Neither the example of the socialist
In response to this depressing news, President Obama still offers the same predictably stale sermons:
But imagine if President Obama simply stopped diverting blame and tried something different.
Vast new finds of natural gas, oil and tar sands have been discovered offshore, in the American West, the Dakotas,
Ever since he began campaigning for the presidency, Obama has hectored the private sector -- talking nonstop of higher taxes, "spreading the wealth," "fat-cat" bankers, paying your "fair share," "millionaires and billionaires," "corporate jet owners" and "unneeded" income.
Such share-the-wealth tirades were matched with redistributive vendettas. Vast new financial regulations and red tape followed. A new trillion-dollar health-care entitlement was imposed on employers. The National Labor Relations Board is attempting to shut down a new
But imagine that the president had instead promoted profit-making -- by cutting red tape, praising entrepreneurs, promising no new taxes or burdens on businesses, and offering incentives to open new plants inside the U.S. In other words, what if small businesses and large corporations believed Obama to be a friend and partner, a leader who wanted them to make big profits, hire millions of workers and enrich the country in the process?
In the last three years, the president has increased the national debt by almost
After nearly three years of blaming, apologizing, and explaining what America cannot and should not do, it is past time for a confident President Obama to remind the country that we can do almost anything we wish.
Instead of lecturing some Americans about why they owe their old wealth to others, why not inspire them to create even bigger new profits to enrich everyone? And in these tough times, let the first family give up vacationing at Vail, Costa del Sol and
In short, President Obama could end the current psychological depression and acrimony by promising to lead from the fore rather than continually harping from far behind.
Read the latest political news.
- Tea Party Decline Hopeful Sign for Thinking Americans
- Lessons for the Next Debt Fight
- Rob Portman May Be Pivotal to 'Super Committee' Success
- The Death of a Principled Moderate
- Why America is Deeply in Need of a Good Hedgehog
- Obama Has Nothing To Lose With Jobs Push
- Obama Fights Broken System, but it May Be the Wrong Fight
- The Man Who Doesn't Want to Be President
- What if the President Liked Businesspeople?
- Where's Obama's Fight?
- Who's In, Who's Out
- How Would Rick Perry Reform Health Care If President?
- Republicans' Big Problem in 2012 -- Hispanics
- Religion and Budget Issues Dog Rick Perry
- First Impressions in Politics
- Perry Criticism Pushes Bernanke Further Into Political Limelight
- Super PACs Changing 2012 Landscape
- Tea Party Champion Ron Paul Takes Bow in New Hampshire
- Is Ron Paul a Fringe Candidate?
- Will Obama Win or Not Lose in 2012?
- Why the New Health-Care Law Should Have Been Based on Medicare
- The Boat Leaks From the Bottom
- A New Wave of Bigotry?
- Congress to Dissect Pentagon Report on China's Military Development
- We Need a Bold Jobs Bill to Stop the Double-Dip
- Who's Worse Off: Europe or the United States?
- Why Are Some Progressives Gloating over Libya?
- Obama Calls for Syrian President Assad to Step Down
- Violence in Iraq Raises Questions About American Withdrawal
- Young Westerners -- Deprived or Decadent?
- How New Atrocity-Prevention Steps Can Work
- The Mob That New Technology Has Made
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- What Kinds of Federal Spending Create the Most Good Jobs?
- Americans Favor Tax Hikes on Wealthy to Reduce Nation's Debt
- 78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government
- Standard and Poor's Downgrade Not Likely to End Partisan Gridlock
- America Forced to Swallow 'Satan Sandwich'
- Tightening the Pentagon's Belt
- The Only Social Security Reform Worth Considering
- Shock Study: U.S. Flag Only Boosts GOP
- For These Republicans, There's Only One Problem: Obama
- Obama Should Take a Lesson from George H.W. Bush
- Is the President in Recovery?
- Will Debt Deal Cost Obama His Liberal Base?
- Is the Tea Party Over?
- Debt Ceiling Stalemate Illustrates the Tea Party's Reality Gap
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- Talkin' About Your Generation
- Spare Us the Sermons Mr. President
- Don't Assume the Hispanic Vote Is a Democratic Lock
- Political Will for Corporate Tax Reform Reaching Critical Mass
- Democrats Get Ready for Next Debt Fight
- America Downgraded!
- Who Stands for Americans?
- Along with Lack of Jobs, A Wage Problem
- What The Economy Looks Like at Stall Speed
- The Empathy Deficit
- Crisis of Confidence: Debt Debate Erodes US Global Standing
- What Fox News Is Not
- Obama Is No LBJ
- Partisanship Run Amok Obama Is Out of Options
- 2012 Elections: Reagan Playbook No Longer Applies
- Alec Baldwin Going Back To School To Become Mayor Of NYC
- The Terminology of Taxation
- United States Debt Downgrade Won't Have Much Short-Term Effect on Foreign Policy
- Global Economic Downturn: A Crisis of Political Economy
- United States Economy A Pyramid Scheme
- Raising Debt Ceiling United States Avoids Default
- China Expresses Disgust Over United States Debt Deal
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Threaten Economic Recovery
- Congress's Spending Debate Won't End With Debt Ceiling
- Debt Deal: Ransom Paid
- Debt Deal - Bold Step; Wrong Direction
- Debt Deal: One-Sided Compromise
- Debt Deal: A Satanic Deal for Debt Fighters
- Obama Signs Compromise Debt Ceiling Bill
- Debt Deal Puts Off Hard Choices for Now
- Senate Set to Give Final Approval to Debt Ceiling Bill
- Despite Debt Deal, Prolonged Deadlock Caused Political Damage
- Who Won the Debt Ceiling Standoff?
- GOP 2012 Contenders Criticize Debt Deal
- Florida Rejects Grants from Affordable Care Act
- Media Takeaways From the Latest Round of Scandals
- Michele Bachmann's 'Submerged' Benefits
- Fight Over Financial Safeguards: Another Front In The Partisan Warfare
- Green, Shovel-Ready Stimulus -- 100 Years Ago
- When Politics Stop Working
- Conservative Appeals Court Judge Paves the Way for Affordable Health Care
- New Fears EPA Smog Rule Will Cost 7.3 Million Jobs
- Eroding the Social Contract
- Can 'Gang of Six' Save the Day on Debt Ceiling?
- Do We Need the Debt Ceiling?
- The Ideologue in the Oval Office
- The Rise of the Wrecking-Ball Right
- Many Ideas for Job Creation, but Little Action
- Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction Could Further Hobble Housing Recovery
- War Fatigue and the Un-Critical Critics of War
- Obama's Expanded Militarism
- Obama's Bush-League World
- Debt Fight Reinforces China's Negative Views of America
- Rupert Murdoch's Legacy -- Greater Press Controls
- Military-Industrial Journalism
- On Journalistic Credibility
- Another Blow to Journalism's Image
- 5 Ways Michele Bachmann Can Win 2012 Swing Voters
- A Religious Test for 2012?
- EPA Budget and Power Under Attack from Republicans
- GOP Takes Dead Aim on EPA
- The Question is Jobs
- Panetta's Gaffe
- Declaring a National Emergency
- The Federal Debt Limit Debate: A Leadership Opportunity
- Millionaires and Billionaires
- The Presidency Matters, But How Much Does Obama?
- Obama's Reagan Parallels Are Falling Away
- The President's Jobs Plan
- Budget Debate Has Troublesome Historical Underpinnings
- It's Back! The Misery Index Rides Again
- Handling Big Contradictions
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
Available at Amazon.com:
What if the President Liked Businesspeople? | Politics
(c) 2011 Victor Davis Hanson