What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
So asks Obama biographer
He has an answer: "Some of it can be attributed to the give-and-take of today's harsh ideological divide. Some of it can be explained by the way misinformation spreads virally to millions of like-minded people, reinforcing preconceptions. And some of it, I believe, arises out of fears of demographic changes in this country, and out of racism."
True enough! Some people are no doubt driven by such motivations and anxieties; "some" is a gloriously accommodating word.
But that hardly settles things. For an essay titled "What Drives the Obama Doubters and Haters," Maraniss offers no explanation until the last paragraph (the quote above). And even then he offers no evidence, just assertions.
I think Maraniss is a great reporter, and I don't believe for a moment he is in on a cover-up of Obama's "real" place of birth or his secret Muslim faith. (Nor do I think either allegation is true.)
As to Obama's closet socialism, I've never found it unreasonable (never mind racist or paranoid) to think Obama's more comfortable with European-style social democracy (aka socialism).
Still, let me add two culprits to Maraniss' list: The first is
As Maraniss demonstrates quite effectively in his book, Barack Obama: The Story, Obama's identity has long been a cultivated political project. Much of the poetic license -- to use a kind phrase -- Obama deploys to tell his own story is plausible only to those eager to take him at his word.
Maraniss couldn't authenticate Obama's tales of racial hardship as a young man. His grandfather being tortured by the British, the bigotry of his high school basketball coach? Untrue.
Moreover, Obama's explanations about the aspects of his past that have managed to become controversies have always seemed insufficient to people not disposed to root for him.
And then there's the huge divergence between the president Obama said he would be and the president he's actually been. In 2008, Obama insisted that he was a unifier, a pragmatist and a non-ideologue. You don't have to be a birther or a secret-Muslim conspiracy theorist to feel like that was all a big con job. That's politics and not deceit (a subtle distinction!), but dismay at how Obama has governed doesn't amount to racial panic either. And blame for the widespread feeling that we were sold a bill of goods by a cheering press does, in fact, belong to the press.
Yes, Obama also signaled to his base that he intended to be a "transformative" president, a progressive
It's fine to beat up on conspiracy theorists, but journalistic muckety-mucks who are mystified by their ever-shrinking credibility -- and profitability -- might wonder what they've done to fuel a climate of distrust. There's a reason why
Meanwhile, it's fascinating how much attention the conspiracy theorists get. It's almost as if some journalists want to use them as bogeymen to discredit all criticism of Obama. That's some journalists, not all.
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
What's Behind Hatred of Obama? | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.