Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
by Donald Kaul
Here's how to tell the 2016 GOP Candidates apart.
The Republicans have a big problem. Their presidential primary contest is beginning to resemble the New York marathon -- hordes of contestants as far as the eye can see.
How is a voter expected to choose among them, particularly since virtually all say pretty much the same thing?
To name a few examples, the entire gang of 15 or more politicians wants to cut taxes, roll back the Affordable Care Act, ban abortion, crack down on undocumented immigration, keep gun laws weak, and do nothing about global warming.
They also uniformly despise Hillary Clinton.
As part of my continuing effort to make the world a better place, here's a brief analysis of a few top GOP candidates. I hope it helps you tell them apart.
The former governor of Florida and latest member of the Bush dynasty angling to occupy the White House is the nice-guy conservative of the bunch.
He's no less conservative than the others, mind you -- except for the suspicion that he’s soft on immigrants because his wife grew up in Mexico -- but an iron fist in a velvet glove nevertheless. Jimmy Stewart would play him in the movie, if there were a movie and if Jimmy Stewart were still around.
The former CEO of Hewlett Packard is easily spotted since she's only woman seeking the Republican nomination.
She's a failed corporate executive who thinks she’s the perfect answer for voters who’d like to vote for a woman but can't stand Hillary. Maybe.
The senator from Kentucky passes for this gang's anti-war candidate. Even if Paul did sign that silly GOP letter that tried to sabotage nuclear talks with Iran, he's still way, way out to the left of mainstream Republicans, who are nothing if not bellicose.
Paul also has other libertarian-based ideas that make him an odd goose in this company of ducks -- especially his opposition to the NSA spying on us all.
The senator from Mars -- I mean, South Carolina -- has yet to meet an international problem that he doesn't think U.S. troops can fix. I get the feeling that he'd bomb Canada if he got the chance.
The senator from Florida is the closest thing to John F. Kennedy the Republicans have had in years.
He's young, he's good looking, and he gives a good speech. He gets a lot of mileage from how hard his parents, Cuban immigrants, had it when he was growing up. He'd be the ideal vice president for Bush if they didn't both hail from the same state.
As the only African-American contender, he's as easy to pick out in this crowd as Fiorina. He's a brilliant brain surgeon, and a rip-roaring speaker prone to saying some strange things.
As the leader of the Senate's does-not-play-well-with-others caucus, it's unclear how he would forge requisite alliances with Congress if he were elected. He sees his function as being the sand in the gears of government. People who love him, love him a lot. To the rest of us, he's Darth Vader.
The New Jersey governor is Tony Soprano on the hoof. If a blustering bully is your idea of a national leader, he's your man.
The Wisconsin governor is the one wearing a little label on his lapel that says: "If found, return to the Kochs." His viability as a candidate depends on whether he remains the billionaire brothers' favorite.
The former Arkansas governor did quite well in his failed 2008 presidential bid as the pick of the religious right, which dominates the Iowa GOP caucuses.
This growing flock also includes the following sure-to-lose politicians: Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal, Ohio governor John Kasich, businessman Donald Trump, former Texas governor Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum.
Remember Santorum? The former senator from Pennsylvania and father of seven kids is the biggest zealot and easily the least likable guy in the race. If he wins, expect a mass exodus to Canada.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- How Much Candidates Spent Per Vote
- Tim Kaine Cheat Sheet
- Mike Pence by the Numbers
- Americans Divided on Bathroom Bill
- The 2016 Democratic Convention by the Numbers
- The 2016 Republican Convention by the Numbers
- Donald Trump and America B
- Clinton's Foreign Policy Poses a Challenge to the Left
- Hillary Wants to Bring Back Bill. She Shouldn't
- The Real Reason Republicans Are Going after the IRS
- ISIS Must Love Trump
- Can Trump Ride the Anti-Immigration Wave to the White House?
- Trouble for Donald Trump's Campaign
- America's Most Followed Members of Congress
- There's No More Denying It: Trump Is Openly Racist
- Donald Trump: Joker's Wild
- After Orlando: Twitter Recoils from Islamophobia, Takes Aim at Gun Laws
- How Much Blame Should Hillary Clinton Bear for Libya?
- Countries That Receive the Most Foreign Aid From the U.S.
- Hillary Clinton Secures Democratic Nomination
- Welcome to Half Dome, Sponsored by Nike
- Companies Need to Stop Bankrolling Hate
- For Billionaire Donors, Academic Integrity Comes Cheap
- America's Cosmic Tax Gap
- Trump's 'Realty Check' on Climate
- Putin and Trump: Symptoms of Creeping Caesarism
- Obama Promised Open Government, But Hasn't Delivered Yet
- A Coalition of the Unhinged
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- A Commencement Address for the Most Indebted Class Ever
- Our Poverty Myth
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Government Agencies that Spend the Most
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Odd Ways Political Campaigns Spend Their Money
- Congressional Districts with the Youngest and Oldest Voters
- Trump Nabs First Lead Against Clinton in Poll
- Bernie's Bucks: Sanders' Fundraising and Spending Prowess in 5 Charts
- Clinton Holds Razor-Thin Lead
- Doling Out the Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs
- States with the Most Women in Politics
- Do First Ladies Influence the Popularity of Baby Names?
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- We Live in a Democracy, Not a Theocracy
- Is Trump an American Exceptionalist?
- Sanders vs Clinton on Economic Inequality
- Nine Lessons for Navigating National Security
- Trumped Up Alliances?
- Big Money in Politics Drives War
- Why Clinton Supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Trump Does Not
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership and the 2016 US Presidential Election
- Obama: The Conflict Resolution President?
- Bernie Sanders Still the 2016 Fundraising Champ
- Inequality Will Get Worse Until There's a Revolution
- Crime Can Pay if It's Big Enough
- Political Campaigns May Put Your Personal Data at Risk
- Fear, Anger and Attitudes Toward Immigration
- The New (Anti-)Secularism
- Clinton, Trump Poised for Northeastern Sweep on Tuesday
- Trump's Bad Ideas Aren't Un-American After All
- The Death Gap
- Why Trump Is No Longer a Safe Bet
- 22 People, $43 Million: The People Doling Out the Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs
- It's Literally Impossible to Deport 11 Million Immigrants
- Here's What a Budget That Prioritizes Peace Looks Like
- Does the Military Support Trump?
- Where Are the Wealthiest Voters?
- How the Pentagon Wastes Your Money
- This Election, We Can't Afford to Ignore the Climate
- The Children's Crusade
- When Islam Polices Extremists
- Hillary Clinton's State Department Armed Saudi Arabia to the Teeth
- Free From Jail, Imprisoned by Debt
- American Cities Most at Risk of Zika Virus
- Operation Paul Ryan
- What Trumpism Means for Democracy
- Trump Opens Floodgates of Hate
- Missing in Action: Political Reality and Leadership
- Give 'Tax and Spend' a Chance
- Donald Trump: Foreign Policy's Useful Idiot?
- When Red Tape Is a Good Thing
- Trump Holds Strong Lead in New York, Clinton-Sanders Race Tightens
- These States Give the Most Money to the Presidential Race
- The Most Influential Presidential Power Couples
- The Most Influential First Ladies
- Wall Street Should Pay a Sales Tax, Too
- Cruz, Not Trump, Has Shot to Beat Clinton
- Republicans Who Really Don't Like Donald Trump
- What Would Nancy Reagan Say?
- The Humpty Dumpty Party
- What Are Trump's Values -- and America's?
- Primary Trends: Media Goes Crazy, Bettors Yawn
- Most Liberal Members of Congress
- Most Conservative Members of Congress
- 25 Facts About Abraham Lincoln
- 25 Facts About John F. Kennedy
- Marco Rubio Is Winning the Neocon Primary
- Obama: The Fairy-Tale President?
- Terrorism & Trump: New Challenges for Social Justice Organizations
- How Sky-High CEO Pay Pollutes Our Planet and Our Politics
- Foucault's Analytic of Power
- The Cliché of Civilizations
- Religious Politics & Illiberal Religion
- Endless War, Undeclared and Undebated
- Bernie Sanders Has America Talking About Denmark
- Paul Ryan vs the People
- Away with the Clowns
- Trump Takes on the World
- After Obama: Clinton vs Sanders
- Can Jeb Bush Even Spell Integrity?
- Please Don't Shoot the Moderators
- Staffing Up for Corruption
- Hillary Clinton Hasn't Learned a Thing from Iraq
- What Comes After Empire for the United States?
- Who's the Greatest Danger to World Peace?
- Has the United States Worn Out Its Welcome Mat?
- Was Bin Laden Killing Result of American Intelligence or Wasn't It?
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
- The Case for a Robot-in-Chief
- What's the Matter with Saying 'Middle Class'?
- Odd Bedfellows for Liberty
- Rand Paul's Foreign-Policy Flip-Flop Not Likely to Win Him Many Friends
- The TPP Gang That Can't Shoot Straight
- TPP Shocking Schumer
- The War on Love
- The GOP Bucks Teddy Roosevelt's Legacy
- Of Course Jeb Bush Would Have Invaded Iraq
- 2016: Send in the Clowns
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Obama's Triple Crown
- The 47 Republican Samurai
- From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
- The High Cost of Low Taxes
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
- This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick
- The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
- Giuliani: Nutball or Sleazeball?
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- When Bibi Came to Town
- 10 Reasons I'm Praying for AIPAC's Decline
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
Article: Distributed via OtherWords.org.
"Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates"