Banana - Macadamia Pancakes
By Live Right Live Well
Pancakes for a crowd couldn't be easier to make when they're baked in one big pan! Pour this fiber- and nutrient-rich batter -- filled with whole grains, banana and macadamia nuts -- in a rimmed sheet pan and then oven-bake. Whole-wheat flour, oats and flaxseed provide 100 percent whole-grain goodness, while bananas add potassium and natural compounds that can aid in weight loss.
All of the spices provide disease-fighting antioxidants, and macadamias and coconut milk add a fun tropical flair. Find canned light coconut milk in your grocery's Asian foods section.
Banana - Macadamia Pancakes Recipe
Makes one large pancake, cut into 18 pieces (serves roughly 6 to 10 people)
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/2 cup 1-percent low-fat milk
1 cup light coconut milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
2 cups chopped banana (slices cut in half)
Toasted coconut, chopped macadamia nuts, sliced bananas and maple syrup for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Coat a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder and all spices.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together milk, coconut milk, eggs, canola oil and orange juice.
4. Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients, mixing just until all ingredients are moistened.
5. Lightly stir in bananas and nuts, taking care not to over-mix.
6. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean.
8. Cut into 18 squares and serve immediately, garnishing with maple syrup, chopped macadamias and banana slices if desired.
Nutrition information (per piece, without garnishes)
5 g protein
26 g carbohydrates
10 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
35 mg cholesterol
74 mg sodium
220 mg potassium
47 mg calcium
1.4 mg iron
70 IU vitamin A
3 mg vitamin C
3.5 g fiber
Article: Copyright © Tribune Media Services, Inc.
Recipes: "Banana - Macadamia Pancakes "
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable