Best Braised Chicken Recipe
by Hillary Tonken
There are SO many chicken recipes out there that it's easy to get bored fast. We think it pays to be creative.
Next time you're planning a chicken dinner, try this braised version with mushrooms and almonds. Besides loving the flavor, you'll benefit from the heart-healthy nuts.
According to a British Journal of Nutrition study, daily consumption of 2 ounces of nuts -- like almonds, walnuts and peanuts -- lowers LDL by around 5 percent.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Braised Chicken Recipe Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth
Grated rind of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sliced, toasted almonds
Braised Chicken Recipe Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Heat the oil over high heat in a large Dutch oven fitted with a lid. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
When the oil is hot, add half the chicken and cook about three minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Note: Try not to turn the chicken too soon or it will stick. Transfer to a plate while cooking the second batch. When all the chicken is cooked, put to the side.
Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and mushrooms are soft and they start to brown, about eight minutes.
Add thyme, bay leaf and wine.
Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan and allow the liquid to reduce by half.
Add the broth and chicken.
Allow it to come to a simmer.
Cover the pan and transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the cooked chicken to a platter and keep warm. Finish the sauce.
Bring the pan liquid to a boil and reduce again by half or until slightly thickened.
Stir in the lemon rind, juice and mustard and whisk well until incorporated into the sauce.
Stir in chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
Sprinkle the toasted almonds.
You can serve immediately.
- Citrusy Chicken Fajitas
- Braised Chicken
- Chicken Kiev
- Crispy Coconut Chicken
- Crunchy Chicken Tenders
- Cereal-Crusted Halibut
- Crispy Cod
- Maple-Glazed Salmon
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Korean Bulgogi-Style Grilled Steak
- Roasted Shrimp Scampi
- Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
- Whole Slow-Roasted Salmon with Sweet Mustard-Dill Aioli Recipe
- Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
- Whole Grilled Branzino Recipe
- Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
- Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
- Diane's Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook a Pork Shoulder Recipe
- My Summer Tradition: Apricot-Plum Sauce
- Lamb Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
- Ossobuco Alla Milanese
- Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
- Maple-Dijon Pot Roast
- Marinated Fish with Vinegar and Mint
- Cauliflower 'Steak' with Olive Pistou
- Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
- Roast Loin of Pork with Mustard Crust
- Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
- Theater Steak with Mushrooms, Onions and Grilled Bread
- Chili-Rubbed Steak with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- Grilled Pesto Scallops with Balsamic Glaze
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Beef Beef Irish Stew: A Hearty Beef Stew
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- Pot au Feu: Sophisticated Take on 'Boiled Dinner'
- Sauerbraten: A German Take on Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon
- Vegetable Meat Balls with Zesty Tomato Sauce
- Wok-Seared Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Tuna and Ricotta Fritters
Article: Copyright © 2017, Studio One
Braised Chicken Recipe, American Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable