Best Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe Recipe
These pan-fried chiles rellenos are stuffed with a skinny chicken-and-corn filling. Serve with salsa or your favorite enchilada sauce.
Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
Yield: 8 servings, 2 rellenos each
Active Time: 1 3/4 hours
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
16 medium-to-large poblano peppers or large
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 large egg whites
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
Place peppers (or chilies) on a large baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until cool enough to handle.
Remove the blistered skin, leaving stems intact (see Tip). Make a slit lengthwise in each pepper and carefully remove the seeds. Set aside.
Combine chicken, corn, cheese, scallions, yogurt and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Fill each roasted pepper with about 1/4 cup of the mixture. Fold the pepper over to completely enclose the filling.
Combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and flour in a shallow dish. Put egg whites in another shallow dish and beat until frothy. Dip each pepper in the flour mixture to coat on all sides, brush off any excess and then dip into the egg whites.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Carefully set 4 peppers into the hot oil and cook until the cheese is melted and the peppers are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a platter; tent with foil (or transfer to a 250 F oven) to keep warm. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining oil and peppers, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Wash your hands thoroughly after removing the skin and seeds from chili peppers or wear rubber gloves.
Per serving: 338 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 8 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 607 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (372 percent daily value), Vitamin A (31 percent dv), Calcium (27 percent dv), Folate & Potassium (18 percent dv), Magnesium (16 percent dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meal, 1 1/2 fat
- Citrusy Chicken Fajitas
- Braised Chicken
- Chicken Kiev
- Crispy Coconut Chicken
- Crunchy Chicken Tenders
- Cereal-Crusted Halibut
- Crispy Cod
- Maple-Glazed Salmon
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Korean Bulgogi-Style Grilled Steak
- Roasted Shrimp Scampi
- Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
- Whole Slow-Roasted Salmon with Sweet Mustard-Dill Aioli Recipe
- Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
- Whole Grilled Branzino Recipe
- Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
- Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
- Diane's Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook a Pork Shoulder Recipe
- My Summer Tradition: Apricot-Plum Sauce
- Lamb Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
- Ossobuco Alla Milanese
- Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
- Maple-Dijon Pot Roast
- Marinated Fish with Vinegar and Mint
- Cauliflower 'Steak' with Olive Pistou
- Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
- Roast Loin of Pork with Mustard Crust
- Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
- Theater Steak with Mushrooms, Onions and Grilled Bread
- Chili-Rubbed Steak with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- Grilled Pesto Scallops with Balsamic Glaze
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Beef Beef Irish Stew: A Hearty Beef Stew
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- Pot au Feu: Sophisticated Take on 'Boiled Dinner'
- Sauerbraten: A German Take on Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon
- Vegetable Meat Balls with Zesty Tomato Sauce
- Wok-Seared Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Tuna and Ricotta Fritters
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Content Agency
"Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe"
Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe Recipe, Mexican Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable