Best Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe Recipe
by Mario Batali
There is nothing quite comparable to whole grilled fish with a warm seasonal salad on a summer evening. My Barbecued Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges is exactly that.
These fish have a distinctive flavor that contrasts perfectly the acidic citrus in this dish. Small red mullet show up at fancier fish stores in
Nyons olives are one of my all-time favorite varieties to toss in salads or cook in pastas, or even to blend into a pesto, which is a favorite of my sons. These tiny, jet-black olives from southern
Just as red mullet is best bought from May to November, oranges have a peak season as well. I really enjoy
This dish combines elements from three of my favorite parts of the world. Mediterranean red mullet with French olives and
Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
1 fennel bulb
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 red mullets (about 1 pound), scaled, gutted and gills removed
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup tiny olives, such as Nyons or arbequinas
Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Steps
Preheat the grill or broiler.
Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cut off the fennel stalks, reserving the fronds. Cut the fennel bulb in half and then into 1/4-inch matchsticks. Add 3 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil to the hot pan and toss in the fennel. Sauté until lightly browned and wilted, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
Brush the fish with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and place on the grill. Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side or to your preferred degree of doneness. Keep warm.
With a very sharp knife or zester, remove the zest from the oranges and reserve. Cut off any remaining peel and the pith, and then cut between the membranes to free the individual segments, working over a bowl to catch the juice.
Place the juice and segments in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the warm, cooked fennel, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, olives and reserved fennel fronds. Season with salt and pepper and divide among 4 plates.
Place a grilled fish on each plate and serve immediately.
- Citrusy Chicken Fajitas
- Braised Chicken
- Chicken Kiev
- Crispy Coconut Chicken
- Crunchy Chicken Tenders
- Cereal-Crusted Halibut
- Crispy Cod
- Maple-Glazed Salmon
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Korean Bulgogi-Style Grilled Steak
- Roasted Shrimp Scampi
- Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
- Whole Slow-Roasted Salmon with Sweet Mustard-Dill Aioli Recipe
- Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
- Whole Grilled Branzino Recipe
- Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
- Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
- Diane's Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook a Pork Shoulder Recipe
- My Summer Tradition: Apricot-Plum Sauce
- Lamb Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
- Ossobuco Alla Milanese
- Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
- Maple-Dijon Pot Roast
- Marinated Fish with Vinegar and Mint
- Cauliflower 'Steak' with Olive Pistou
- Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
- Roast Loin of Pork with Mustard Crust
- Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
- Theater Steak with Mushrooms, Onions and Grilled Bread
- Chili-Rubbed Steak with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- Grilled Pesto Scallops with Balsamic Glaze
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Beef Beef Irish Stew: A Hearty Beef Stew
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- Pot au Feu: Sophisticated Take on 'Boiled Dinner'
- Sauerbraten: A German Take on Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon
- Vegetable Meat Balls with Zesty Tomato Sauce
- Wok-Seared Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Tuna and Ricotta Fritters
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Content Agency
"Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe"
Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe, Italian Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable