Kale and Grapefruit Salad
by Vanessa Voltolina
Whether or not you're a kale convert, this salad's ingredients -- namely the grapefruit, toasted hazelnuts and optional sunflower seeds -- provide a nice balance to those leafy greens. Kale and grapefruit are also water-rich, low-calorie ingredients that pack a ton of nutrients. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
Kale and Grapefruit Salad Ingredients
1 bunch (8 ounces) kale, center stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced
1/4 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1 whole grapefruit
2 tablespoons hulled sunflower seeds (or to taste)
2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 shallot, thin or finely chopped
Kellogg's Smart Start cereal
Kale and Grapefruit Salad Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place hazelnuts on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and toast until slightly browned under skin, about 15 minutes.
Remove skins by rubbing nuts between a warm towel, then roughly chop; set aside.
Remove peel and pith from grapefruit.
Working over a small bowl to collect juice, carve out segments between membranes; set segments aside.
Combine 2 tablespoons of reserved grapefruit juice with red onion, canola oil, honey, salt, pepper and shallots to create a dressing in a separate bowl.
Set mixture aside to soften.
Toss sliced kale with dressing and hazelnuts.
Serve and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Sprinkle on cereal for a crouton-like crunch.
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Kale and Grapefruit Salad
- Trout and Buckwheat Salad
- Winter Salad With Homemade Croutons
- Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches
- Summer Chopped Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Baked Red Lentil Falafel Salad
- Asparagus Salad Topped with Poached Eggs
- Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries
- Spring Salad with Beets, Prosciutto and Creamy Onion Dressing
- Winter Salad with Roasted Squash and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Endive Salad with Pear, Pecans and Gorgonzola
- Main Course Salads: Quick Solutions for Weeknight Dinners
- Shaved Beet and Radish Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
- Swiss Chard with Balsamic, Maple Syrup and Fresh Ginger
- Summer Succotash Salad
- Shaved Asparagus Salad
- Pasta Salad with Gouda, Red Peppers and Artichoke Hearts
- Sicilian-Inspired Blood Orange Salad
- Chicken and White Bean Salad
- Fruit and Nut Tabouli Salad
- Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Warm Citrusy Millet Salad with Roasted Fennel and Kalamata Olives
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Massaged Kale Salad
- Barley Cranberry Salad
- Warm Goat Cheese Salad with Arugula and Radicchio
- How To Make a Better Side Salad
- Farro Salad with Nectarines, Basil and Toasted Pine Nuts
- Pear and Prosciutto Salad with Late-Harvest-Wine Vinaigrette
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives and Parmesan
- Greek Salad Santorini-Style
Article: Copyright © 2017, iHaveNet
"Kale and Grapefruit Salad"
Kale and Grapefruit Recipe, American Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable