Best Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe Recipe
by Mario Batali
My recent travels to
My Skirt Steak Asada Tacos are a dish I've cooked at tailgates here and there during grill season, and they're the closest recipe to authentic Mexican tacos I've developed. They are assembled the traditional way, with just the meat, some chopped onion and cilantro, and a sprinkling of fresh lime. I also add a pureed poblano sauce for a little extra oomph.
The taco is an ancient tradition with over 500 years of history. More than anything else, the key for Mexican authenticity in this dish is serving your skirt steak asada taqueria style on soft corn tortillas, unlike 80 percent of Americanized tacos. Mexican shops carry authentic tortillas, or you can even make them from scratch yourself using masa harina ("dough flour") and water. Masa harina is most commonly used to make tortillas, but it is also featured in other incredible dishes such as tamales and pupusas.
When making pureed sauces, poblano peppers are one of my favorite varieties to use because they're as flavorful as they are gorgeous in color. Originating in the state of
Now for the most important player of the taco: the steak. Carne asada is thinly sliced, grilled beef, traditionally marinated for hours and served with rice and beans on the side. While typically any cut of beef can be butterflied into thin sheets, I am using skirt steak for this recipe to capture that deep, rich flavor I love in authentic Mexican food. Flank steak would be a close second if you are unable to find skirt steak in your local market.
As easy as that, my Skirt Steak Asada Tacos will have you dreaming of
Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
Makes 4 servings (8 tacos).
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium poblano peppers, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
6 canned plum tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for grilling
2 pounds skirt steak
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro, picked to yield 1 cup
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
8 soft corn tortillas
3 limes cut into wedges for serving
Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe Steps
Place a skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, and when it gets hot, add the yellow onion and peppers and cook until they soften, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin, and cook 1 minute more. Add the plum tomatoes and salt, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 5 minutes more.
Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse until just smooth.
Place the skirt steaks in a sealable plastic freezer bag and add half the puree, making sure they are completely coated. Keep refrigerated, or in a cold ice chest if grilling outside, for up to 72 hours.
When you're ready to grill the steaks, salt them and grill them over medium-high heat, turning once, until they are a deep, rich brown on both sides, about 9 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the chopped red onion, cilantro and lime juice.
Cut the steaks into 1/2-inch slices. Put a few slices in a warmed tortilla (can be heated on a warm area of grill) and add a heaping tablespoon of the onion and cilantro mixture. Squeeze some lime over the meat and then add a tablespoon of the pureed sauce. Repeat to make 8 tacos. Eat and smile.
- Citrusy Chicken Fajitas
- Braised Chicken
- Chicken Kiev
- Crispy Coconut Chicken
- Crunchy Chicken Tenders
- Cereal-Crusted Halibut
- Crispy Cod
- Maple-Glazed Salmon
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Korean Bulgogi-Style Grilled Steak
- Roasted Shrimp Scampi
- Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
- Whole Slow-Roasted Salmon with Sweet Mustard-Dill Aioli Recipe
- Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
- Whole Grilled Branzino Recipe
- Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
- Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
- Diane's Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook a Pork Shoulder Recipe
- My Summer Tradition: Apricot-Plum Sauce
- Lamb Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
- Ossobuco Alla Milanese
- Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
- Maple-Dijon Pot Roast
- Marinated Fish with Vinegar and Mint
- Cauliflower 'Steak' with Olive Pistou
- Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
- Roast Loin of Pork with Mustard Crust
- Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
- Theater Steak with Mushrooms, Onions and Grilled Bread
- Chili-Rubbed Steak with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- Grilled Pesto Scallops with Balsamic Glaze
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Beef Beef Irish Stew: A Hearty Beef Stew
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- Pot au Feu: Sophisticated Take on 'Boiled Dinner'
- Sauerbraten: A German Take on Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon
- Vegetable Meat Balls with Zesty Tomato Sauce
- Wok-Seared Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Tuna and Ricotta Fritters
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Content Agency
"Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe"
Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe Recipe, Mexican Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable