Best Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe Recipe
by Diane Rossen Worthington
The first time I ever tasted soft-shell crab was on an early summer night at
What is a soft-shell crab? It's an ordinary blue crab that has shed its hard outer shell during the normal process of seasonal growth. The crabs have an entirely different taste when they are in this state, and the delicate soft shells add a nice crunch. The peak of the soft-shell crab season is in July and August. This delicacy is most delicious when sauteed quickly.
Make sure the crabs are fresh and, if possible, that they come from
This recipe is a mash-up of my usual rendition with how
Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a first course.
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/8 teaspoon paprika
4 jumbo (4 ounces each) soft-shell crabs, cleaned and dried
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, sliced
Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe Steps
1. If the crabs are not cleaned, remove the feelers underneath the shells on both sides. Wash the crabs and dry carefully.
2. Combine the buttermilk and egg in a shallow container and whisk to combine.
3. Combine the flour, pepper, salt, red pepper and paprika in a shallow medium dish, and mix well.
4. Place the vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat.
5. Dip each crab into the buttermilk wash and then dredge in the flour until well coated.
6. Place the crabs in the skillet, top side down, and saute about 3 minutes per side, turning once. When they have finished cooking and are pink in color, remove to a side platter and loosely cover with foil.
Heat the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Saute the shallots for about 1 minute or until slightly softened. Add the lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper, and cook another minute or two. Taste for seasoning. Arrange the crabs on serving plates, drizzle over the sauce (or serve on the side) and garnish with lemon and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Citrusy Chicken Fajitas
- Braised Chicken
- Chicken Kiev
- Crispy Coconut Chicken
- Crunchy Chicken Tenders
- Cereal-Crusted Halibut
- Crispy Cod
- Maple-Glazed Salmon
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Korean Bulgogi-Style Grilled Steak
- Roasted Shrimp Scampi
- Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe
- Whole Slow-Roasted Salmon with Sweet Mustard-Dill Aioli Recipe
- Grilled Red Mullet with Warm Fennel Salad and Oranges Recipe
- Whole Grilled Branzino Recipe
- Skirt Steak Asada Tacos Recipe
- Chiles Rellenos with Chicken Recipe
- Diane's Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- How To Cook a Pork Shoulder Recipe
- My Summer Tradition: Apricot-Plum Sauce
- Lamb Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
- Ossobuco Alla Milanese
- Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
- Maple-Dijon Pot Roast
- Marinated Fish with Vinegar and Mint
- Cauliflower 'Steak' with Olive Pistou
- Steak Salad-Stuffed Pockets
- Roast Loin of Pork with Mustard Crust
- Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
- Theater Steak with Mushrooms, Onions and Grilled Bread
- Chili-Rubbed Steak with Maple-Bourbon Butter
- Grilled Pesto Scallops with Balsamic Glaze
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Beef Beef Irish Stew: A Hearty Beef Stew
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- Pot au Feu: Sophisticated Take on 'Boiled Dinner'
- Sauerbraten: A German Take on Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon
- Vegetable Meat Balls with Zesty Tomato Sauce
- Wok-Seared Chicken and Vegetables
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
- Tuna and Ricotta Fritters
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Content Agency
"Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe"
Soft Shell Crab with Lemon Butter Recipe Recipe, American Seafood Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable