Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches
by Diane Rossen Worthington
She continues to educate people on how to eat well and stay healthy. Her latest book, "Slim Down Southern," a collaboration with
Carolyn selected the best of Southern Living recipes and then added lots of sidebars to bring together this light and healthy topic. Famous chefs like
There's also a 14-day "SLIM" menu plan drawn from Carolyn's own personal food diary. It includes dishes like Lime-Orange Catfish, Glazed Salmon with Stir-Fried Vegetables and even Mocha-Pecan Mud Pie. If you are a Southern food lover who prefers lighter preparations, this book is for you.
Of the many chicken salads I have tested and eaten, this one stands out as a sure-fire winner for summer. The peaches are grilled, which brings out their natural sweetness and in this salad balances the peppery arugula. For best results, grill peach halves cut sides down first. Silicone basting brushes work well to distribute small amounts of oil. Enjoy.
Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches Recipe
Excerpted from "Slim Down Southern" by
Makes 4 servings.
2 medium-size ripe peaches, unpeeled and halved
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon table salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups firmly packed arugula
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves (28 halves)
2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches Recipe Steps
1. Preheat grill to 350 F to 400 F (medium-high) heat. Brush peach halves with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil; brush chicken breasts with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle peaches with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
2. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 7 to 8 minutes on each side or until done. At the same time, grill peaches, covered with grill lid, 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from grill; let the peaches stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken breasts into thin slices.
3. Divide arugula among 4 plates; top each salad with a peach half, one-fourth of sliced chicken, and 2 tablespoons pecans.
4. Whisk together honey, balsamic vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; drizzle each salad with one-fourth of the dressing. Sprinkle one-fourth of cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons chives over each salad.
SERVING SIZE 1 salad
CALORIES 340; FAT 22.7 g (sat 5.6 g, mono 12.1 g, poly 3.8 g); PROTEIN 18.3 g; CARB 17.5 g; FIBER 2.3 g; CHOL 50 mg; IRON 1.3 mg; SODIUM 416 mg; CALC 178 mg
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Kale and Grapefruit Salad
- Trout and Buckwheat Salad
- Winter Salad With Homemade Croutons
- Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches
- Summer Chopped Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Baked Red Lentil Falafel Salad
- Asparagus Salad Topped with Poached Eggs
- Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries
- Spring Salad with Beets, Prosciutto and Creamy Onion Dressing
- Winter Salad with Roasted Squash and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Endive Salad with Pear, Pecans and Gorgonzola
- Main Course Salads: Quick Solutions for Weeknight Dinners
- Shaved Beet and Radish Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
- Swiss Chard with Balsamic, Maple Syrup and Fresh Ginger
- Summer Succotash Salad
- Shaved Asparagus Salad
- Pasta Salad with Gouda, Red Peppers and Artichoke Hearts
- Sicilian-Inspired Blood Orange Salad
- Chicken and White Bean Salad
- Fruit and Nut Tabouli Salad
- Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Warm Citrusy Millet Salad with Roasted Fennel and Kalamata Olives
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Massaged Kale Salad
- Barley Cranberry Salad
- Warm Goat Cheese Salad with Arugula and Radicchio
- How To Make a Better Side Salad
- Farro Salad with Nectarines, Basil and Toasted Pine Nuts
- Pear and Prosciutto Salad with Late-Harvest-Wine Vinaigrette
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives and Parmesan
- Greek Salad Santorini-Style
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Content Agency
"Summer Salad with Grilled Chicken and Peaches"
Summer Chicken Salad Recipe, Southern Cuisine
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable