Best Apps to Learn A New Language
by Cian Laurence
We all love going on vacation.
Whether it is relaxing by a pool in the Bahamas or trekking up a mountain trail in Peru, traveling is a lot of fun. But why is it that, for the most part, we indulge in the foreign food, the sights, and the lifestyle, but very rarely the language? Important not only for when we travel; foreign languages can help us in our everyday lives and careers. Knowing a language other than your native tongue can help add a whole new dimension to your traveling; it allows you to connect with locals on a ‘real’ level, understand signs and directions and can also help you in those tricky travel situations we always seem to find ourselves in.
Learning a new language can daunting and difficult for some- or at least that is what we tell ourselves. The truth is there are several creative ways to learn a new language thanks to the development of some really interesting apps.
Here are just a few of the top apps that will help prepare you for those tongue-tying moments of confusion you encounter on your travels.
Voted as the Best App by the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store, Duolingo is one of the best and highest-rated language apps. This free app is a fun and interactive game-like program that uses both repetitions of voice and written tests to help you learn and retain information. With 27 different languages to choose from, it provides the user with experience points that can be used to move forward in your lessons to more advanced and complex grammar and oral tests. Although it touches on ten grammar tenses, Duolingo is primarily a speaking app, which is ideal for both kids and adults who want to tackle new languages in a fun and interactive way.
Next on our list is Babbel. In the same vein as Duolingo, Babbel uses a system of repetition with oral and written tasks and questions. Babbel allows you to download different languages as separate apps to keep your progress separate and unique. The ‘custom goal’ aspect of this app allows you to set milestones and benchmarks to help you learn and monitor your lessons better. However, unlike Duolingo, Babbel requires a monthly subscription starting at $11.
As 21 of the most desirable locations across the world are predominantly Spanish-speaking, Memrise is a great app to choose from the diluted market of ‘learn Spanish’ apps. It allows you to choose from many different levels and all of its dialects from Mexican Spanish to traditional Spanish. The app also allows you to learn words and phrases through categories like “250 most commonly used Spanish words” and “Spanish vocabulary by frequency.” Memrise, also free to download, aims to give the user 15 new words per lesson. This is a must-have for anyone planning a trip to South America or any other Spanish-speaking region.
Traveling is great for making memories, making friends and experiencing new cultures. There is no better way to get the full experience than being able to converse with the locals and understanding the language of the country. With these great apps, learning a new language has never been easier and will allow you to take more than just photos away from your trip.
- Cities Where Tourists Spend The Most
- South Africa Comes Alive in Durban
- China Comes Alive in Nanjing
- 6 Must-Know Spring Break Vacation Tips
- How Travel Will Change
- Most Hashtagged Tourist Destinations
- Most Instagrammed European Attractions
- Airlines Most Likely To Lose Your Luggage
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Going on Your Own RV Travel Adventure
- Budget-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- How to Maximize the Joy of Travel
- Gearing Up for Adventure Travel
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- 10 of the Most Haunted Places in New England
- Napa Winery's Garden, A Year-Round Place Of Culinary Inspiration
- Beyond Wine: Sonoma's Chill Food-And-Drink Scene Keeps Growing
- Kenyan Eco-Huts Attract Tourists & Cash
- Top 10 Airlines: In-flight Internet
- Ancient Greece's Restored Tower of Winds Keeps Its Secrets
- Travel: Healthy Eating Tips
- Top Family-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- Top Inexpensive Places to Travel To
- Best Apps for the Savvy Traveler
- Best Apps to Learn A New Language
- Photography Tips for Vacation Travelers
- The 10 Best Cameras for Summer Travel
- Travel with a Purpose
- VIP Airport Lounges: Airport Oasis
- Do Airlines Give Best Fares to Search Engines?
- Need a Flight? Just Google It
- Airfare Consolidators: Low Profile but Still Around
- Best Online Tools for Managing Airline Miles
- The Secrets to Successful Travel Bidding
Article: Copyright © 2018 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.