Cities Where Tourists Spend The Most Cash
by Niall McCarthy (Statista)
The following data from Mastercard shows the travel destinations where tourists splashed the most cash.
According to the annual Mastercard Destination Cities Index, Bangkok was the world's most visited tourist destination in 2016. The Thai capital attracted 19.41 million visitors last year, more than both London (19.06 million) and Paris (14.87 million).
Despite coming fourth for visitors, Dubai significantly outpaced all other cities in spending. Crowds of tourists flock to Dubai every year, due to a host of attractions ranging from excellent museums to the the 2,717 ft tall Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest man made structure. One of its biggest draws, however, is its burgeoning reputation as the Middle East's shopping capital.
Tourists who want to go shopping in Dubai will be overwhelmed by the options on over. The city has over 70 shopping malls including the Dubai Mall, the world's biggest shopping complex by total area. Unsurprisingly, that means Dubai's overnight visitor spend is gargantuan. Last year, visitors splurged $28.5 billion and Mastercard predicts that sum will increase by over 10 percent this year. Even though New York and London are massive for retail, both cities lag far behind Dubai in visitor spend, bringing in $17.02 and 16.09 billion last year respectively.
- Cities Where Tourists Spend The Most
- South Africa Comes Alive in Durban
- China Comes Alive in Nanjing
- 6 Must-Know Spring Break Vacation Tips
- How Travel Will Change
- Most Hashtagged Tourist Destinations
- Most Instagrammed European Attractions
- Airlines Most Likely To Lose Your Luggage
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Going on Your Own RV Travel Adventure
- Budget-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- How to Maximize the Joy of Travel
- Gearing Up for Adventure Travel
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- 10 of the Most Haunted Places in New England
- Napa Winery's Garden, A Year-Round Place Of Culinary Inspiration
- Beyond Wine: Sonoma's Chill Food-And-Drink Scene Keeps Growing
- Kenyan Eco-Huts Attract Tourists & Cash
- Top 10 Airlines: In-flight Internet
- Ancient Greece's Restored Tower of Winds Keeps Its Secrets
- Travel: Healthy Eating Tips
- Top Family-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- Top Inexpensive Places to Travel To
- Best Apps for the Savvy Traveler
- Best Apps to Learn A New Language
- Photography Tips for Vacation Travelers
- The 10 Best Cameras for Summer Travel
- Travel with a Purpose
- VIP Airport Lounges: Airport Oasis
- Do Airlines Give Best Fares to Search Engines?
- Need a Flight? Just Google It
- Airfare Consolidators: Low Profile but Still Around
- Best Online Tools for Managing Airline Miles
- The Secrets to Successful Travel Bidding