Low Airfares That Vanish in a Click
Now you see it. Now you don't.
When you're airfare shopping, attractive prices can vanish in a split second. Just ask
"Now it was
Why, indeed? Because that's not how reservations systems work. When you find a fare online, it isn't actually there -- it's cached on the site. Caching, or storing a copy of the fare information, is cheaper and makes everything run faster. But there's a price to be paid for the speed and convenience: A small number of fares -- usually less than 5 percent -- may no longer be available when you try to book them.
This is the "underbelly of the whole reservation system," said
I can see the skeptical customers' point. A few weeks ago, I booked a flight from
"New Price," the site announced in annoying red letters. The same ticket now cost
I felt frustrated. If I had been notified that there was only one seat left at
A spokeswoman for the
Whether this sleight of hand is intentional or not, there's no need to become its next victim. The easiest way to avoid a fare surprise is to make a faster booking decision. Not a knee-jerk response, but less than, say, five minutes. The longer you wait, the greater the chance that the seat you wanted will be snatched up by someone else, and that the cheap fare will be replaced by a more expensive one.
Another tip: Read the initial fare quote carefully.
For example, a ticket from
In fact, it's nothing so sinister. The initial rate is the actual ticket price, but once you add taxes, fees and other surcharges, you end up with a ticket that costs
"The airfare your airline charges is just a small part of what it costs to get you from
Here's where well-meaning travel agents and I differ on airfare quotes. Many agents believe that it's perfectly acceptable to offer you a base fare, minus all the extras, when you're shopping around. The grand total is often disclosed in small type and then revealed in a more overt way just as you're getting ready to pay. They have their reasons for making the prices seem artificially low -- high fares are a turn-off for their customers and even a few extra dollars can make a traveler run to a competitor.
I think that's dishonest. And Sen.
Last year, he introduced the Clear Airfares Act, a
Until that happens, I'm not too optimistic that an apparent bait-and-switch -- or a technology glitch -- is completely preventable. Buy fast and do a little math. But even if you're quick on the draw and run arithmetic problems for fun, you could still get ensnared by a fare that wasn't really there.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- What's New in Germany and Switzerland for 2010
- What's New in Great Britain and Ireland in 2010
- Totally Kidcentric and Affordable Ski Resorts
- How to Ensure Your Luggage Survives a Trip
- What Hotels Will Resort to For a Good Review
- Accidental Tourist? Tips for Maximizing Happy Coincidences and Avoiding Bad Ones
- Low Airfares That Vanish in a Click
- Air Travel: Buying Extra Legroom
- Priceline Opens Up; Quikbook Goes Opaque
- Another Argument For Travel Insurance
- Travel Apps for Your Smart Phone
- 6 Ways to Save: Family Vacations
- My Hotel Lost a Star -- What Now?
- When Travelers Experience Discrimination
- Good Airline Fees? Some Are Worth the Money
- Expedia Goes Accessible; Travelocity Goes Opaque
- Rental Car 'Gotchas' That Can Cost You Real Money
- Should Airlines Honor Fares That Are Obvious Mistakes
- 'People Movers' Ease Airport Hassles
- 'Couches' in Economy Class -- For Real
- Cruise Myths Debunked
- Family Vacation Savings Tips
- Vacation Trips You Should Never Book Online
- Flying Under the Influence of the TSA
- 5 Common Travel Mistakes and How to Fix Them
- Poof! There Go My SkyMiles
- Post-Holiday Travel Bargains Abound But Are They Worth It
(c) 2010 Christopher Elliott
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here