10 Most Offensive Kinds of Restaurant Behavior
Whether prompted by necessity or adventure, travelers do a lot of dining out and thus have developed some pretty strong opinions about the experience.
With this in mind the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com have compiled this list of the "Most Offensive Kinds of Restaurant Behavior." From inappropriate diaper changing to unfair bill splitting it shows that fellow diners are capable of destroying the very best of meals.
1. RUDE CUSTOMERS
From snapping at waiters (both literally and figuratively), to calling them names, to good old-fashioned condescension, it's amazing the way some people treat the wait staff. Good manners aside, if ever there were someone to whom it was important to be kind it's someone who handles your food.
2. CELLPHONE USERS
Although we live in an age of public oversharing, loud cellphone users seem all the more offensive in a restaurant, especially when they have something personal and possibly medical to talk about. We recommend leaving the restaurant entirely for calls that really can't wait.
3. NOSE BLOWERS
While it may seem minor this is a really great way to ruin the collective appetite of the people with whom you're dining. If you're so sick that this is really a necessity, please stay home.
4. SENDING SOMETHING BACK SEVERAL TIMES
We've all had the experience of having to send back chicken that's a little under cooked or a soda that's a little flat but for some people, sending something back to the kitchen is practically a sport. Consider leaving the restaurant altogether, if a meal really has to return to the kitchen that much.
5. COMPLAINING ABOUT FOOD AFTER IT'S EATEN
A worse version of the person who sends the food back, this person waits to complain about quality until they've eaten most of what was on the plate. Why they needed to consume so much of it before voicing their dislike of it is a mystery.
6. ALTERING FOOD TO THE POINT OF ABSURDITY
Like a scene out of "When Harry Met Sally," some people ask for so many changes to the food they're ordering it makes one wonder why they chose what they chose. By the time they're finished they can turn a hamburger into a slice of pizza.
7. OUT-OF-CONTROL CHILDREN
They're lovely at the playground, but at a snazzy restaurant, not so much, especially when their parents don't realize (or accept) that not every eating establishment is one that allows drawing on the tablecloths. It's not even so much the noise levels that drive diners crazy but the running around, sometimes with potentially dangerous utensils in hand.
8. NOT TIPPING
Arguing that if they don't get tipped for their job they shouldn't have to tip others, some people have no problem stiffing the waitperson. Of all the embarrassing behaviors in which a fellow diner can indulge this is without question the worst.
9. PUBLIC DIAPER-CHANGING
Even with "family restrooms," elaborate changing tables, and, well, home, there are still parents who use restaurant floors to change a crying child. Amazing though it may be, they actually think other diners won't mind. They would be wrong.
10. UNEVEN BILL-SPLITTING
You've ordered a light dinner and a soda, they've ordered everything from cocktails to appetizers to dessert and when the bill comes, they're the first people to suggest splitting it. This might not be so bad if only they weren't quite so defensive when you point out the imbalance.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Avoiding Scams in Europe
- Airline Schedule Change -- Curse or Benefit?
- Europe This Fall? Best Hotels, Best Prices
- Global Airline Profits Forecast to Rise 73 percent in 2011
- Air France - KLM Orders 50 New Planes from Airbus and Boeing
- Germany: The Castles of Mad King Ludwig II
- Taking the Kids and Eating Healthier on the Road
- Taking the Kids and Escaping Yellowstone's Crowds
- 10 Crazy Flight Experiences
- 10 Most Offensive Kinds of Restaurant Behavior
- 4 Reasons Your Brain Needs a Vacation
- How to Stay Healthy on Vacation
- Do Flight Attendants Really Hate Their Passengers?
- Can You Trust the New Trusted-Traveler Program?
- Alternative Airports: Check Always, Use Sometimes
- Shop the Flash Sites -- But Carefully
- Improved Search Systems Include European Railroads and Premium Economy
- 'Save' Money by Staying Out of Town
- Camping Goes Green
- Private Enterprise Should Lead on Air Travel Innovation, Not FAA
- Top 10 Most Annoying Types of Beachgoers
- Taking the Kids and Combating Nature Deficit
- Taking the Kids To the Land of the Arctic Polar Bear
- Taking the Kids to Maine
- Amboise, France: Charming Visitors Since Leonardo da Vinci
- Picnicking in Europe: Cheap, Memorable, and Fun
- Bargain Vacation Destinations
- Two New Airline Credit Cards
- Taking the Kids To Amelia Island
- Western Turkey: Beyond Istanbul
- Top 10 Works of Art Everyone Should See
- Should We Avoid TSA Screening -- Or Embrace It?
- All-Asia Pass: Good Deal or Not?
- Buy a Ticket; Price Drops -- Can You Recoup?
- Headed to Europe This Summer? It's Going to Be a Riot
- Europe This Summer: Go, But Carefully
- Swept Away in Rome
- Italy's Amalfi Coast: Going South -- Fast
- Cruising the Mediterranean on a Budget
- Top Ten Pieces of Travel Advice for Novice Travelers
- Taking the Kids to the World's Largest Children's Museum
- More Airline Tricks
- American Express Reward Points: Transfer or Keep?
- A Little Extra Attentiveness Can Save a Lot on Car Rental Fees
- Taking the Kids to Historic Philadelphia
- Taking the Kids to an Ultra-Deluxe Resort
- Pamplona's Running of the Bulls
- The World's Top 10 Cheese Factories
- Customers Hate Airlines -- Who Knew?
- Private Sale Travel Websites Growing Fast
- 11 Rules for a Cheap Summer Vacation
- 10 Best Camp Sites Around the World
- Airlines: New Perk, New Fee
- TSA Makes About-Face On Child Patdowns
- KLM To Power European Flights With Used Cooking Oil
- How to Bargain at Europe's Markets
- Finding a Beach Bargain in the Caribbean and Hawaii
- Taming High Destination Costs
- 10 Best Ice Cream Shops in the World
- Housekeeping Secrets of Your Hotel Towels
- Time to Plan for Fall Vacation
- Smile! It's Summer Vacation
- Is It Any Wonder When Airline Passengers Go Berserk?
- Exploring Europe's Natural Wonders
- Taking the Kids to Baltimore
- Taking the Kids to Orlando for the First Time
- 10 Best Hostels in the World
- What Are the Best Summer Vacation Travel Tips?
- Enjoy a Summer Festival Without Paying Too Much
- Expedia Ties Up with Groupon -- More Good Deals Coming?
- The Oltrepo Pavese: Milan's Secret Tuscany Hinterland
- France's D-Day Beaches: A Powerful Memorial
- Taking the Kids On Road Trips Despite Sky-High Gas Prices
- 10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
- Should Tarmac-Delay Rules Become Law?
- Are Mobile Devices Now Travel Essentials?
- Delta Airlines Adds Semi-Premium Economy
- Croatia's Coastal Delights
- Taking the Kids and Opting For a Small Boutique Hotel
- The 10 Best Open-Air Theaters Across the Globe
- Travelers Rights in Europe
- Airline Rules Were Meant to Be Broken By Elites
- Life Among the Ruins of Budapest
- Top 10 Sensational Summer Music Festivals
- More on the 'Myth' of Unchanged Hotel Bed Sheets
- You Hate Airline Fees and Tight Seats -- Who Knew?
- Taking the Kids to San Francisco's Museums
- Taking the Kids on a Cruise to Europe
- Italy's Ravenna: Once Powerful and Still Glorious
- Top 10 Things to Do in London
- Some People Just Know How to Fly and Some Don't
- Taking the Kids On a Safe and Green Trip to Mexico's Riviera Maya
- Traveling to Europe with Kids
- The Great Passport Flap
- Top 10 Arches
- The Truth About 'Hidden' Airline Fees
- 'Rule 240' Weak, But Not Dead
- Spain's Granada: Moor Than the Sum of its Parts
- Taking the Kids to Monterey
- 10 Great American Street Painting Festivals
- Hotels Don't Always Change the Sheets Between Guests
- Summer Trip? Check Your Plastic
- Frontier Airlines Lowers Change Fees
- Taking the Kids to the Grand Canyon
- Nicaragua's Wheel of Fortune
- Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
- Frequent Flier Program Changes You Can Root For
- Tour Packages a Better Deal -- Really?
- Spring Break in a Day
- Sunday Morning: Vienna-Style
- The Top 'Quality' Airline
- Top 10 Architecturally Stunning Libraries
- Taking the Kids: When a Return Trip Makes You Smile at the Memories
- Airlines Fall in Love with Fuel Surcharges All Over
- How to Plan a Multifamily Vacation
- European Trains: Still a Great Way to Travel
- Renting a Car in Europe
- Taking the Kids: Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii to Try to Make Sense of Ancient History
- Don't Ignore Travel Scam Warnings
- Top Ten Flower Markets
- The Travel Industry Moves to Pre-empt Customer Complaints
- Ten Great Movie Theaters Across the Globe
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- When the Fuel Surcharge Costs More Than the Ticket
- When You're Really, Really Footloose
- Continental and United Airlines Closer than Ever
- Taking the Kids: Looking For Those Unique Moments in Orlando
- Slovenia Offers Up Charm Without the Crowds
- 10 Great Cities For Night Owls
- Stop Obsessing Over Airfares and Book Now
- Airport Lounges for the Rest of Us
- Athens, Greece: Offbeat Athens
- Taking the Kids: Putting on the Ritz in Ski Country
- A Few New Websites and Gimmicks
- Six Cards You Need on Your Trip
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner
- Taking the Kids to Atlantis
- Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
- Cheap Sleeps in Europe
- Indexed Airfares: Deception or Deal?
- Top 10 Easy Rules of Traveling
- Top 10 Places for Afternoon Tea in London
- US Airways Closes a Loophole But Opens a Can of Worms
- United Airlines Sticks with Economy Plus
- TSA Screenings Prompt Cries of Police-State Tactics
- Finding a Good Cruise Agent
- An Inside and Outside Look at Madrid
- Looking at Europe: Part 2
- World's Top Ten Circular Buildings and Structures
- Will This Be the Year for Passenger Rights?
- Delta Drops Mileage Expiration
- Taking the Kids: But Not on an Adult-Only Romantic Getaway
- Taking the Kids: On a Different Spring Break
- Top 5 Vehicles for Ski Week
- Taking the Kids: Learning to Scuba Dive
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Amenities Travelers Wish Still Existed
- Blockbuster Art Exhibit? Get a Package?
- Taking the Kids To Broadway - 2011
- Discovering Oslo's Inner Tiger
- Losing It All ... and Bouncing Back
- Delta Airlines Opts for Semi-Premium Economy
- 'Easier' Frequent Flyer Seats? Yes -- and No!
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here