Top 10 Train Journeys - Bernina Express
by Agnes Frimston
Davos, Switzerland -- Tirano, Italy
At 20km per hour, the Bernina Express navigates 196 bridges, 55 mountain tunnels and climbs to 2253 metres over the Albula pass to St. Moritz.
Journey time: 4 hours
Pretoria -- Cape Town, South Africa
The Blue Train, with its marble-tiled, gold-plumbed bathrooms and personal butlers, goes past sunflower farms, waterfalls, desert and diamond mines
Journey time: 27 hours
Adelaide -- Darwin, Australia
Named after the Afghan camel trains that pioneered routes through the outback, the Ghan travels 2,980 kilometres across desert, vineyards, mountains and gorges.
Journey time: 50 hours
Cuzco -- Machu Picchu, Peru
Along the 80km route you plunge from one of the world's highest cities into the sacred valley and then follow the Urubamba river along the canyon. You can slum it on the backpacker train, or take the Hiram Bingham, a copy of the 1920s Pullman carriages with fine dining.
Backpacker journey time: 80 minutes. From £22.50
Hiram Bingham journey time: 12 hours. From £240 one way
Los Angeles, USA
The double-decker Coast Starlight offers views across the West Coast's spectacular scenery, while dishing up gourmet meals.
Journey time: 35 hours
Beijing -- Lhasa, Tibet
The Lhasa Express climbs 5,000 metres on its 4,064-km trek, and temperatures plummet so drastically that the water in the lavatories is heated to stop it freezing. The world's highest track, with much of it lain over permafrost.
Journey time: 47 hours
Glasgow -- Mallaig, Scotland
The train goes along Loch Lomond's banks and Ben Nevis before crossing the 30-metre high viaduct that the Hogwart's Express made famous anew. Rannoch Moor is so inhospitable that no roads cross it and track had to be balanced on tree roots, earth and ashes.
Journey time: 5 hours 15 minutes
Siliguri -- Darjeeling, India
The steam train chugs along this line that is now a World Heritage Site. Views en route are of the Himalayas, tea gardens, teak forests and the world's third highest peak, Kanchenjunga.
Journey time: 7 hours
Bangkok, Thailand -- Singapore
The Eastern & Oriental Express travels through Bangkok to Malaysia before crossing the causeway over the Straits of Johor to Singapore. The train has cherry wood-panelled cabins with a veranda-style observation deck.
Journey time: 3 nights
Rocky Mountains, Canada
There are three routes: Kicking Horse, Yellowhead and Fraser Discovery. Dome-car day trains, hotels at night.
Journey time: 11 days
- 10 of the Most Haunted Places in New England
- Napa Winery's Garden, A Year-Round Place Of Culinary Inspiration
- Beyond Wine: Sonoma's Chill Food-And-Drink Scene Keeps Growing
- Kenyan Eco-Huts Attract Tourists & Cash
- Top 10 Airlines: In-flight Internet
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Photography Tips for Vacation Travelers
- Travel with a Purpose
- 10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
- The World's Top 10 Arches
- World's Top 10 Eccentric Constructions
- Top 10 Train Journeys
- The World's Top Architecture Museums
- Top Ten Pieces of Travel Advice for Novice Travelers
- 10 Crazy Flight Experiences
- Top 10 Most Annoying Types of Beachgoers
- 10 Great American Street Painting Festivals
- Top 10 Works of Art Everyone Should See
- The World's Top 10 Cheese Factories
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Travel Goals for Serious Travelers
- The 10 Best Open-Air Theaters Across the Globe
- Insider Secrets to Booking Cheap Airfare
- Pack Light, Even for a Cruise
- Travel Apps For Last-Minute Vacations
Article: Copyright © 2017, Tribune Media Services Inc.
Vacations & Travel "Top 10 Train Journeys"