Top 10 Works of Art Everyone Should See
Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but why not try to behold as much as possible? With this in mind, the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com were asked to name the pieces of art they think everyone should see. While not everyone agreed on the choices, most participants concurred that seeing a famous work of art in real life is a completely different experience from seeing a reproduction.
Although many who nominated this very famous, symbolic work admitted it was not among their aesthetic favorites, all agreed from a thought-provoking standpoint, this was a must-see. First unveiled in 1937, the mural denounces that year's bombing of a small, defenseless town in the Basque region of
2. THE KISS, GUSTAV KLIMT, BELVEDERE,
The Belvedere may own the largest collection of Klimt's in the world, but for sheer star power, nothing beats this piece. When the artist died at the relatively young age of 56, he left behind many unfinished works, this one, happily not among them.
Content aside, the first thing that strikes most viewers upon seeing Caillebotte's masterpiece is its enormous size. At 9-feet-wide it certainly helps to accentuate the scope of the city's boulevards, which were new at the time of the painting. In spite of its proportions, many who see it note the details, like the earring of the woman in the foreground, are what make it most notable.
4. NIGHT WATCH, REMBRANDT, RIJKSMUSEUM,
At 14-feet-wide Rembrandt's masterpiece eclipses even Caillebotte's enormous Paris portrait. Dark, complicated, and evocative, the painting is noted for representing members of the military in action, rather than in their standard posed portraits.
5. A SUNDAY AFTERNOON ON THE ISLAND OF LA GRANDE JATTE, GEORGE SEURAT, THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO,
It's spawned a
6. THE BAYEUX TAPESTRY, MUSEE DE LA TAPISSERIE DE BAYEAUX, BAYEUX,
More than 224-feet-long, this gargantuan piece of art may be one of the most incredible pieces of needlework ever created. Started in 1066, the work was said to have been created by monks, after all, who else would have that much patience?
7. THE SISTINE CHAPEL CEILING,
8. PARDON IN BRITTANY,
Chalk up another one for the Art Institute of
9. WINGED VICTORY OF SAMOTHRACE, MUSEE DU LOUVRE,
10. THE MONA LISA, DA VINCI, MUSEE DU LOUVRE,
The lines to get in are usually endless, the building can get very stuffy, and chances are you'll have to fight with other tourists for even a quick glimpse, but the truth is, there is nothing like seeing the world's most famous painting in the flesh. While we struggled with including this most obvious of choices, ultimately, this painting is just in a class by itself.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Taking the Kids To Amelia Island
- Western Turkey: Beyond Istanbul
- Top 10 Works of Art Everyone Should See
- Should We Avoid TSA Screening -- Or Embrace It?
- All-Asia Pass: Good Deal or Not?
- Buy a Ticket; Price Drops -- Can You Recoup?
- Headed to Europe This Summer? It's Going to Be a Riot
- Europe This Summer: Go, But Carefully
- Swept Away in Rome
- Italy's Amalfi Coast: Going South -- Fast
- Cruising the Mediterranean on a Budget
- Top Ten Pieces of Travel Advice for Novice Travelers
- Taking the Kids to the World's Largest Children's Museum
- More Airline Tricks
- American Express Reward Points: Transfer or Keep?
- A Little Extra Attentiveness Can Save a Lot on Car Rental Fees
- Taking the Kids to Historic Philadelphia
- Taking the Kids to an Ultra-Deluxe Resort
- Pamplona's Running of the Bulls
- The World's Top 10 Cheese Factories
- Customers Hate Airlines -- Who Knew?
- Private Sale Travel Websites Growing Fast
- 11 Rules for a Cheap Summer Vacation
- 10 Best Camp Sites Around the World
- Airlines: New Perk, New Fee
- TSA Makes About-Face On Child Patdowns
- KLM To Power European Flights With Used Cooking Oil
- How to Bargain at Europe's Markets
- Finding a Beach Bargain in the Caribbean and Hawaii
- Taming High Destination Costs
- 10 Best Ice Cream Shops in the World
- Housekeeping Secrets of Your Hotel Towels
- Time to Plan for Fall Vacation
- Smile! It's Summer Vacation
- Is It Any Wonder When Airline Passengers Go Berserk?
- Exploring Europe's Natural Wonders
- Taking the Kids to Baltimore
- Taking the Kids to Orlando for the First Time
- 10 Best Hostels in the World
- What Are the Best Summer Vacation Travel Tips?
- Enjoy a Summer Festival Without Paying Too Much
- Expedia Ties Up with Groupon -- More Good Deals Coming?
- The Oltrepo Pavese: Milan's Secret Tuscany Hinterland
- France's D-Day Beaches: A Powerful Memorial
- Taking the Kids On Road Trips Despite Sky-High Gas Prices
- 10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
- Should Tarmac-Delay Rules Become Law?
- Are Mobile Devices Now Travel Essentials?
- Delta Airlines Adds Semi-Premium Economy
- Croatia's Coastal Delights
- Taking the Kids and Opting For a Small Boutique Hotel
- The 10 Best Open-Air Theaters Across the Globe
- Travelers Rights in Europe
- Airline Rules Were Meant to Be Broken By Elites
- Life Among the Ruins of Budapest
- Top 10 Sensational Summer Music Festivals
- More on the 'Myth' of Unchanged Hotel Bed Sheets
- You Hate Airline Fees and Tight Seats -- Who Knew?
- Taking the Kids to San Francisco's Museums
- Taking the Kids on a Cruise to Europe
- Italy's Ravenna: Once Powerful and Still Glorious
- Top 10 Things to Do in London
- Some People Just Know How to Fly and Some Don't
- Taking the Kids On a Safe and Green Trip to Mexico's Riviera Maya
- Traveling to Europe with Kids
- The Great Passport Flap
- Top 10 Arches
- The Truth About 'Hidden' Airline Fees
- 'Rule 240' Weak, But Not Dead
- Spain's Granada: Moor Than the Sum of its Parts
- Taking the Kids to Monterey
- 10 Great American Street Painting Festivals
- Hotels Don't Always Change the Sheets Between Guests
- Summer Trip? Check Your Plastic
- Frontier Airlines Lowers Change Fees
- Taking the Kids to the Grand Canyon
- Nicaragua's Wheel of Fortune
- Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
- Frequent Flier Program Changes You Can Root For
- Tour Packages a Better Deal -- Really?
- Spring Break in a Day
- Sunday Morning: Vienna-Style
- The Top 'Quality' Airline
- Top 10 Architecturally Stunning Libraries
- Taking the Kids: When a Return Trip Makes You Smile at the Memories
- Airlines Fall in Love with Fuel Surcharges All Over
- How to Plan a Multifamily Vacation
- European Trains: Still a Great Way to Travel
- Renting a Car in Europe
- Taking the Kids: Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii to Try to Make Sense of Ancient History
- Don't Ignore Travel Scam Warnings
- Top Ten Flower Markets
- The Travel Industry Moves to Pre-empt Customer Complaints
- Ten Great Movie Theaters Across the Globe
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- When the Fuel Surcharge Costs More Than the Ticket
- When You're Really, Really Footloose
- Continental and United Airlines Closer than Ever
- Taking the Kids: Looking For Those Unique Moments in Orlando
- Slovenia Offers Up Charm Without the Crowds
- 10 Great Cities For Night Owls
- Stop Obsessing Over Airfares and Book Now
- Airport Lounges for the Rest of Us
- Athens, Greece: Offbeat Athens
- Taking the Kids: Putting on the Ritz in Ski Country
- A Few New Websites and Gimmicks
- Six Cards You Need on Your Trip
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner
- Taking the Kids to Atlantis
- Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
- Cheap Sleeps in Europe
- Indexed Airfares: Deception or Deal?
- Top 10 Easy Rules of Traveling
- Top 10 Places for Afternoon Tea in London
- US Airways Closes a Loophole But Opens a Can of Worms
- United Airlines Sticks with Economy Plus
- TSA Screenings Prompt Cries of Police-State Tactics
- Finding a Good Cruise Agent
- An Inside and Outside Look at Madrid
- Looking at Europe: Part 2
- World's Top Ten Circular Buildings and Structures
- Will This Be the Year for Passenger Rights?
- Delta Drops Mileage Expiration
- Taking the Kids: But Not on an Adult-Only Romantic Getaway
- Taking the Kids: On a Different Spring Break
- Top 5 Vehicles for Ski Week
- Taking the Kids: Learning to Scuba Dive
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Amenities Travelers Wish Still Existed
- Blockbuster Art Exhibit? Get a Package?
- Taking the Kids To Broadway - 2011
- Discovering Oslo's Inner Tiger
- Losing It All ... and Bouncing Back
- Delta Airlines Opts for Semi-Premium Economy
- 'Easier' Frequent Flyer Seats? Yes -- and No!
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here