Top Family-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
by Heidi Raker
When you think of Spring Break, what comes to mind? I won’t be surprised if you answered college students, who savor the week with abandon, leaving their responsibilities behind for partying and lazing on the beach.
But spring break is not just for twenty-somethings. It can be a great time to travel with the kids, unwind and spend some quality time together as a family. Taking the time to plan a weeklong vacation when your child is off from school can provide a welcome relief from the harsh winter weather and usher in the start of spring and summer.
Here are some traditional and alternative spring break destinations that will provide you and your family with some much needed rest and relaxation.
Orlando is famously known as one of the most family-friendly vacation destinations in the country, and for good reason.
The weather is impeccable and there is no end to things that you can do while you’re there. Consider visiting Magic Kingdom in Disneyworld or Universal Studios. There are so many options for dining that your kids will love, along with non-stop entertainment and attractions. For dining within Disney World, try Ohana. It is within the Polynesian Resort and offers an authentic Hawaiian atmosphere and cuisine, along with meet and greets with Lilo and Stitch.
If theme parks or water parks aren’t your family's first choice, then go to Discovery Cove where you can swim with dolphins and other sea creatures, feed tropical birds and scuba dive. If you’re looking for a plethora of attractions, dining and other family fun on your spring break, Orlando, Florida has it all.
Setting sail on a cruise is a perfect way to get away and have a lot quality time with your family. With a picturesque ocean view at all times and no shortage of kid-friendly activities, a family cruise could be your best spring break option. From the Disney Cruise Line, to Royal Caribbean, there are so many cruises that put families first. They offer expedited dining for children, fun activities and kids clubs for various age groups.
If you are on a budget, try Carnival Cruise Lines, the most affordable cruise line out there.
If an elaborate Florida trip, beach trip or cruise is not in your financial plans, consider taking a day or overnight trip to the city nearest to you.
New York has so many landmarks and history embedded in it. Taking a trip to a museum can teach your kids so much about history and provide a great experience. The Museum of Natural History provides something fun for everyone and is a great way to spend the day. Taking a walk through Central Park or Times Square can also give your family a great day of memories.
Boston also offers great family friendly-activities for a day trip, such as the Boston Duck Tours that give in depth tours of the city both on land and water. You could also try going on a whale watch trip for the day. You and your family will be able to see many different types of whales up close and personal, and learn a lot about them.
Check out what the city nearest you has to offer and create a plan to visit for a day or two. These short daytrips don’t require airfare or overnight accommodations when you travel by road or rail. Build the day around a major site like a museum or festival and return to the comfort of your home at the end of the day.
Spring break is fast approaching. Finding family-friendly destinations is easy when so many vacation packages and activities cater to families with children of all ages. Now is a great time to start planning your getaway, whether you want to jet off to Universal Orlando, board the perfect cruise ship or sightsee and experience all the city has to offer.
- Cities Where Tourists Spend The Most
- South Africa Comes Alive in Durban
- China Comes Alive in Nanjing
- 6 Must-Know Spring Break Vacation Tips
- How Travel Will Change
- Most Hashtagged Tourist Destinations
- Most Instagrammed European Attractions
- Airlines Most Likely To Lose Your Luggage
- Most Hashtagged Cities On Instagram
- Going on Your Own RV Travel Adventure
- Budget-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- How to Maximize the Joy of Travel
- Gearing Up for Adventure Travel
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- 10 of the Most Haunted Places in New England
- Napa Winery's Garden, A Year-Round Place Of Culinary Inspiration
- Beyond Wine: Sonoma's Chill Food-And-Drink Scene Keeps Growing
- Kenyan Eco-Huts Attract Tourists & Cash
- Top 10 Airlines: In-flight Internet
- Ancient Greece's Restored Tower of Winds Keeps Its Secrets
- Travel: Healthy Eating Tips
- Top Family-Friendly Spring Break Vacations
- Top Inexpensive Places to Travel To
- Best Apps for the Savvy Traveler
- Best Apps to Learn A New Language
- Photography Tips for Vacation Travelers
- The 10 Best Cameras for Summer Travel
- Travel with a Purpose
- VIP Airport Lounges: Airport Oasis
- Do Airlines Give Best Fares to Search Engines?
- Need a Flight? Just Google It
- Airfare Consolidators: Low Profile but Still Around
- Best Online Tools for Managing Airline Miles
- The Secrets to Successful Travel Bidding